Trotto Law Firm, P.C.
Reach Trotto Law Firm, P.C.

What to do when visitation rights are denied

Parents in New York and throughout the country are generally allowed to see their children after a divorce. However, a judge must do what is in the best interests of the child at any given time. This could mean that a parent is denied visitation or is given limited visitation rights. Visitation may be denied or allowed in a supervised format until a parent addresses concerns that a judge may have.

For instance, a parent who has anger issues may be required to complete an anger management course. Parents who are dealing with drug or alcohol abuse may be required to go to rehab and remain sober for a certain period of time. It is important to note that child support and child custody are two separate issues. Therefore, a failure to pay child support is generally not a reason to keep a parent from seeing a child.

There may be valid reasons why a custodial parent would attempt to block a noncustodial parent from seeing his or her child. For instance, a custodial parent could have concerns about the child's safety or whether it will be easy to transport the child to the other parent. If the child doesn't want to see a noncustodial parent, that may also be a reason to prevent visitation from happening.

Those who have questions about parenting rights may benefit from hiring an attorney to help with their case. An attorney may explain how child custody or visitation orders are created and how parents can improve their chances of getting a favorable order. An attorney may also help a parent show to the court that a judge's concerns have been addressed. This may result in full visitation or other parental rights being reinstated.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Tell Us About Your Legal Needs

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Trotto Law Firm, P.C.
140 Allens Creek, Suite 3
Rochester, NY 14618

Phone: 1-585-453-0040
Rochester Law Office Map

  • VISA
  • MasterCard
  • American Express
  • Discover